Sunday, June 21, 2015

Blessing #17

"Miss A, is God real?"

This question was asked of me by a first grade boy during the final week of school in May. It was actually said more like, "Miss A, is Dod real?" as he substitutes the /d/ sound for the /g/ sound...it's called "fronting" if you're interested in the speech therapy term for the error. But anyway, I digress.... :) This moment came to my mind repeatedly today while at church and I sat pondering this sweet boy's thoughtful and sincere inquiry during most of Relief Society. Working in a public school, I am obviously not supposed to mix my religion with my work so I quickly answered his question in a way I thought would be appropriate and tried to change the subject, "I believe God is real, but I think you should ask your mom that same question. Let's start working on our speech sounds." 

As I was reminded of that somewhat uncomfortable moment today, I couldn't help but hope that he did ask his mom and that he did find an answer that relieved any distress he felt about such a serious and controversial subject. As it was Father's Day today, I was feeling an immense sense of gratitude not only for my earthly father, but also for my Heavenly Father...who is God...and who I definitely believe is real. Many of my students don't have fathers in their homes. And not everyone has an earthly father that they love or admire. I hope and pray that anyone seeking such a father will find their way to that perfect, heavenly being who is our Father in Heaven. 

Fathers represent blessing #17 for me tonight. Fathers come in all forms. There are many men in my life that I admire. My earthly father has been the ultimate example though. He has been my rock in every way. He is a perfect example of someone who honors his priesthood. He is kind and always beyond willing to serve those around him. He wants to please others before himself and while that's frustrating for me at times (like when I want to eat at a restaurant HE chooses and he won't tell me where he wants to eat because he wants to eat where I want to eat), it is a quality I certainly admire. :) 

My dad is a strength to me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. He has provided for my needs, competed with me in basketball, scraped my windshield on snowy mornings, talked me through my emotional/girly moments, and has taught me not to dwell on things I can't control. He has studied the gospel all his life through personal study and through his career and I see his testimony in the way he lives his life, which has inspired me to gain a testimony of my own. How grateful I am for the stability and safety I have experienced in my life due to this great man. As James E. Faust stated, "Noble fatherhood gives us a glimpse of the divine attributes of our Father in Heaven." Happy Father's Day to just one example of such a father!


No comments: