Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Blessing #16

So...remember how I used to blog and count my blessings? Yeah, me too. I think I'll blame my graduate program for the demise of my blog. I never knew it would end up ruling my life the way that it did. Those two years were quite literally the hardest two years of my life and, unlike the common mission phrase, I don't know that I'd also consider them the best :) But...they did get me to where I am today, which is a good thing. I'm currently working as a speech-language pathologist at an elementary school. It's without a doubt the most challenging and demanding job of any I've occupied thus far, but I really, REALLY love working with my students. In fact, they are the reason I'm blogging today.

I've always planned to work with kids in a career. Growing up, I don't remember ever wanting to be anything other than a teacher. When I went to college, I started to question that decision though and looked into some other fields. I ended up graduating with my undergrad in Social Work, but I remember talking to my mom the week before graduation about whether or not I should actually pursue a second degree in teaching right away. I did eventually pursue that degree, but in the process decided I would prefer to go the speech therapy route. Overall, I've been happy with my decision. Like I said, my job is often hard and stressful; however, there are moments each day when I realize it's all not only worth it, but I'd also probably be bored if I had it any other way. For example, last week I had the following conversation with two third graders:

Student #1: "Did you take your kids to Disneyland with you when you went there?" (My room is Disney themed.)
Me: "No, I don't have any kids yet."
Student #2: "Do you have a husband?"
Me: "No, not yet."
Student #1: "So you live alone?"
Me: "No, I actually live with some friends. They're called roommates."
Student #1: "You should adopt some kids."
Me: "Umm...okay. Can I adopt you?"
Student #1: Look of confusion..."No. You're supposed to adopt kids that don't have families."
Student #2: "Why don't you have a husband?"
Me: .....
Student #2: "You should try online dating."
Me: .....
Student #2: "Do you have a boyfriend?"
Me: "You mean am I dating someone?"
Student #2: "No, do you have friends that are boys?!"
Me: "Yes, I have friends who are boys."
Student #2: "Then date them!!"

I'm not going to lie, Student #2 was frustrated in his final remarks. Apparently, we adults just aren't logical enough for him :) I sure wish it were that easy, kid! Even though this conversation felt slightly like an interrogation, I couldn't help but laugh. I was having a bit of a rough day and it was just what I needed. Whenever I start to take life too seriously, my kiddos remind me not to.

The scriptures teach us that except we become as little children we shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. As Ive pondered why this is, Ive considered the qualities that children possess. They are eager to learn. They are obedient (for the most part). :) They are innocent and pure. They are curious. They are full of faith and trust. They find joy in the small things. They want to please others. They are playful and experience each moment in life to the fullest. They are quick to forgive. They express their love often. They are humble. They are teachable. They are compassionate.

I could go on and on talking about childlike qualities, but I think its obvious why we are to become as little children. They have the characteristics required to reside with our Father in Heaven. The part that is not always so obvious to me as an adult though, is that we would just plain be happier here on earth if we became more like them. As I said before, I was having a hard day prior to the conversation with my kiddos mentioned above and taking on the perspective of a third grader changed the whole dynamic of my day. I am so grateful for the example of little children and want to end with a quote by Jean A. Stevens that expresses exactly how I feel:

Have some of lifes experiences taken from you the believing heart and childlike faith you once had? If so, look around at the children in your life. And then look again. If we have a heart to learn and a willingness to follow the example of children, their divine attributes can hold a key to unlocking our own spiritual growth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is great! Thanks for the enrichment!