Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blessing #12

Sadie.

My dog died very suddenly this week and it was really quite hard for me. I haven't had to deal with death much in my life. My grandpa died a few years ago and I remember gaining a stronger testimony of eternal families during that time. I hadn't really given the doctrine of eternal families much thought up to that point...I mean, I had grown up learning I would have an eternal family and was so grateful for that, but when my grandpa died, I really searched the doctrine further and was incredibly grateful for the peace it brought into my life during that difficult time. I loved him so much.

I felt that same pain again this week as I held my dog for the last time. It probably sounds silly to those who have not owned a dog before, but she was literally a part of my family and a part of me. She was always such a blessing to me. When I was home alone, I felt safe knowing she was there with me. When I needed to talk, yes, I would talk to my dog...and she would always just sit there next to me and listen. When I came home for the weekends in my Provo years, she would run around the house excitedly and she would literally give me a hug. She made me feel so special. My dog was my good friend. My house seems so quiet without her now and I know I will continue to miss her presence in my life.

The night after we lost her, I decided to watch Marley and Me. I know, I was just asking for more tears right? :) It was so good though to watch such a tender story about a family and their love for their dog. In the end of that movie, a certain quote always gets me. The main character in the story, John Grogan, says: "A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"

I have always loved that quote. The words are said as he is watching his family through the window and I find the scene so touching. Our families are truly the ones who can bless our lives in such a way...they can make us feel extraordinary. I know that is true because I have experienced that in my own family. I am truly grateful for them and am incredibly grateful for the time I had with my dog. She made my family complete and I will remember her always :)

1 comment:

Janelle said...

SO sorry for your loss Katie!! When we had to let go of Damon's chocolate lab Jesse, he watched the same movie...a couple of times.
We love you!